St. Olai Church is positioned where the first church of the city was built for more than 800 years ago. The church got its present form back in 1559 and could thus celebrate its 450th anniversary in 2009. However, the oldest walls originate from the 13th century.
The first church was erected here on what used to be the beach by the castle Ørekrog at that time. The church is named after its patron saint, the Norwegian sea king and the national hero Olaf the Holy (Olav den Hellige) who unified Norway and Christianised the country.
When Erik of Pomerania (Erik af Pommeren) introduced the Sound Dues, St. Olai Church went through a transformation. The church had to match Elsinore's increasing importance to the country and has thus been extended several times. Since 1961, St. Olai Church has had the status of Cathedral as the northern part of Sealand was separated as an independent diocese.